1. To have a voice on the issues that confront our Texas state government regarding our retirement benefits and health insurance.
2. To be able to attend monthly HART meetings to stay informed about issues that affect our future as retired educators.
3. To be able to support HART’s programs which include Books For Children, HART’s Scholarship Fund, HART’s Continuing Education Fund for Teachers, and HART’s support of the Stilwell Memorial Residence for Retired Educators.
4. To be able to patriciate in monthly fun field trips to places of interest in the greater Houston area.
5. To meet new friends, connect with old friends and colleagues, and most importantly to have fun!
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO JOIN THE HOUSTON ASSOCIATION OF RETIRED TEACHERS?
HART is an organization open to all retired public school employees in the greater Houston area. HART provides educational and social opportunities for its members and works to promote the future of education in Texas as well as the economic well-being of retired educators.
MEMBERSHIP IS $45 PER YEAR
$10 of the fee is for HART membership. $35 of the fee is for membership in the Texas Retired Teachers Association.
In order to have your voice heard in Austin, your membership in both organizations is vital!
Click here to download an applicationthat you can mail to:
HART P.O. Box 6727, Houston, TX 77265-6727
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
Keep informed about your pension, healthcare, and benefits
Connect to fellow retired educators and friends
Attend programs geared to your needs and interests
Candidate forum in October - Please note that we are strictly non-partisan
Fellowship with other retired educators
Opportunities for advocacy about retired and active teacher issues
Benefits and insurance options, etc.
Scholarships to local university education majors
Continuing education grants to teachers for special projects
Books for Children Program provides annual donations to an HISD school
Field trips and special classes
* For example, we meet every Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. to make lunches for children too young to get free meals from school. If you would like to join us the address is 330 Garden Oaks Blvd.
INSIDE LINE - Make certain that you receive TRTA's Inside Line eMail and learn about issues and events that affect you by CLICKING HERE.
To learn if you are registered to vote and if your voter registration is up-to-date, CLICK HERE.
To learn who represents you in the Texas Legislature and how to contact those persons CLICK HERE.
News From the HART President
Check here for quick HART updates! (Subscribe and get notified of HART news!)
The HARTbeat is published quarterly from September to May. It contains news from the Texas Retired Teachers Association and information about special HART events.
Paul and Sue Ofeld receive the Dr. Kate Bell Memorial "Spirit of Hart" award for their music contributions to the Houston Association of Retired Teachers.
HART Scholarship and Continuing Education Funds
Each spring, the Houston Association of Retired Teachers awards up to five scholarships to junior or senior students who are enrolled in a college of education. We rotate through the following universities: University of Houston, St. Thomas University, Houston Baptist University, Rice University, and Texas Southern University.
Mail Donations to:
HART Scholarship or Continuing Education Fund, Inc.
P.O. Box 6727
HART awarded $1000 scholarships to each of four St. Thomas University education students for the 2022-23 academic year
Emily Zuniga—EC-6 (Bachelor of Arts in General Studies)
Sirenia Garcia—Music Education
Ursula Barreto—Special Education
Renee Babin—EC-6 (Bachelor of Arts in General Studies)
(not pictured: Angelique Pinto—Education (7-12 English)
2022 Scholarship Donations: HART Scholarship Fund, Inc., has received donations from the following individuals for 2022:Joan Graham and Dr. Gary Patterson.HART members can make donations at any time of the year to this fund for any reason: in honor of a person; in memory of someone; or a special event.